You are not legally required to change your name as a result of marrying. You may wish to keep your maiden name; change it to your husband's name; or you can hyphenate it and use both yours and your husband's surnames.

If you do decide to take your husband's surname, after the ceremony you will need to get a copy of the Certified Marriage Certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

There are many organisations who need to be advised of the change to your name, some of these are -

Australian Taxation Office

The Electoral Roll

Any Insurance Policies

Private Health Fund


Your Banking Institutions

Superannuation Fund

Department of Transport - Driver's License and Vehicle Registration

Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade - Passport

Any organisations where you are a member

When you realise you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.